Ballyboden St Enda’s v O’Dwyers U15’s – Match Report 7th May 2013


Following last week’s success against Castleknock it seemed to make sense not to change a winning formula. That initially seemed like a great idea until I received calls back as to who was unavailable to travel. Early indications showed that we’d be struggling to field a team let alone put out the same one as last week. We were down Matthew, Eoin, Luke and Conor, all key players in our previous game. A last minute call to the under 14 team ensured that we’d be able to field a team albeit 14 players. The game commenced shortly after 19:30.


O’Dwyers gained procession from throw in and Tom Downes didn’t delay on making his presence felt and delivered a well taken opening score from just inside the 45. Eoin (Richie) Richardson was next to score from the right hand side. Tom’s second attempt of a point from distance dropped short and under the cross bar for a goal. Cian O’Maonigh was next to add his name to the scoreboard with a nicely placed point from play some 20 metres out on the left hand side. Ballyboden struggled to gain possession and suffered an onslaught of shots from O’Dwyers, although none of which accumulated as scores. Twenty minutes into the first half Ballyboden began to take some control of the game scoring their first point. Twice the ball was scuffled of the goal line but O’Dwyers narrowly escaped conceding. Micky Corcoran pulled off a wonderful save to deny Ballyboden. Darragh delivered some nicely placed kick outs, one of which was easily secured Tom and delivered to Fiach Keenan who took his first score. Richie adds another two goals to his tally. O’Dwyers never looked threatened by Ballyboden St Enda’s except for the last 10 minutes of the first half. Tight marking and support play between the full backs of Seanin, Darragh, and Dairmuid ensured that each wave of attack was dealt with. Seldom was the ball just aimlessly kicked out of defence, the guys worked it out nicely to begin waves of counterattacks. This helped Peter Lawless and Tom Downes to secure a point apiece before half time. Half Time Score: Ballyboden St Enda’s 0-02 O’Dwyers 3-06.


Plenty of praise followed by a word of caution was relayed to the team at half time. No less than a year ago we suffered a defeat to Ballyboden having gone in at half time well ahead. O’Dwyers gained possession from the initial throw in, Daniel Hughes knocking the ball down to Tom Downes who delivered a quick low lay off into Peter Lawless who turn against the defender to score a lovely point of his left foot. Eoghan Richardson was on fire and converted a point immediately after the ball was kicked out. David Creamer got a taste for scoring when he charged for goal, but narrowly missing and securing a point for his effort. Davy took command of the half and secured the majority of play. Ballyboden swapped some players which resulted in 3 more scores. David Creamer replied with two more points for O’Dwyers. Richie worked the ball across the face of goal and delivered a well taken goal on his left foot low to the goalkeeper’s left hand side. All of the team worked well in support of each other and Daniel was instrumental to creating the majority of scores, finally got his name on the score sheet. Seanin Keenan performed brilliantly under attack on the right side. Darragh and himself worked a series of hand passes between them resulting in Darragh putting the ball in the back of the net from 40 yards out. The most impressive part of this game was the way the team played as a unit. You could feel the confidence building as players took their scoring opportunities. Those that didn’t score like Oisin McDonald helped enormously to support play and create scores for others.


It was a tough decision to select a man of the match with each and every guy listed below giving 100% commitment. Stephen and I decided to leave it up to the players and Darragh Mathews was voted man of the match. Tom Downes (captain) once again did a terrific job of leading out his team. Well done guys….


Final Score: Ballyboden St Edna’s 0-05 O’Dwyers 5-13


Micky Corcoran, Seanin Keenan, Darragh Mathews (1-00), Dairmuid Tuckey, Cormac O’Byrne, Daniel Hughes (0-01), Paul McNally, Tom Downes (1-02), Eoghan Richardson (3-02), David Creamer (0-03), Fiach Keenan (0-01), Oisin McDonald, Peter Lawless (0-03), Cian O’Maoinaigh (0-01)



{jumi [sean/fix_res.php]}