The objective of the OgDwyers Academy is to encourage boys and girls to participate in playing football and hurling in a structured and fun environment by:
- Introducing the child to the skills of hurling and football
- Preparing the child to participate at a competitive or recreational level as a player
- Producing players who have a basic command of all fundamental playing skills.
- Developing the balance, coordination and footwork of the players
The OgDwyers Academy started on 15th April and will run until October. Look out on Social Media for exact dates. See below for details of our typical Academy setup:
- The Saturday Academy runs from 11 am to 12:30 pm every Sunday for children 4 years of age upwards.
- It is MANDATORY that all children wear a mouth guard in training and matches. Mouth Guards come in a variety of sizes and can be bought at any sports shop. If your child does not have a mouth guard, they cannot play!
- A friendly reminder to all parents/guardians that they are required to remain on the premises for the entire duration of the Academy from 11am-12:30 pm.
- Kit/Footwear – children may wear whatever they find comfort in (tracksuit, leggings, shorts) to training; it is not mandatory that children wear club/football kits, though many children want to once they begin training! We recommend layering and ensuring your child has a light windcheater/jacket in case of rain or windy conditions. We recommend football boots to prevent slipping. Gaelic football gloves are not mandatory but some players prefer to use them; particularly in wet seasons. Gloves may be purchased in a variety of sizes in most sports shops.
- Club Gear / Colours: The Club colours are navy with light blue accents. Children playing competitively will be asked to have the club colours socks and shorts. These can be purchased through O’Neills and many sports shops. To access O’Dwyers online shop: Click Here
- Weather Closures – As the saying goes, if you don’t hear from us, Academy is on! In the case of very poor weather and unsafe pitch conditions, an announcement will be made in the morning and posted to this Facebook and Twitter.